August 25, 2011

Would You Drop What You're Doing?

Can people count on you?

Are you a willing to do what it takes to help the team?

Would you do something outside the scope of your work knowing it might not get you any credit, attention or recognition?

How do you feel going outside of your comfort zone?

You know who will do this?

Kathy will do this.

I don't want to use Kathy's full name because I know she wouldn't want the publicity. That is not the reason she came to my aid today when I was 30 minutes from starting a continuing education class and I realized I was missing the VGA cable that connects my projector to my computer. 

For those of you who might not know, the VGA cable is the cord that allows the audience to see the presentation from the computer via the projector. Not to be overly dramatic but it is kind of an important thing when you're teaching a class so that the audience can see your presentation.

I needed to find a way to get a cable or I wouldn't have been able to teach this class as effectively as I would with a full visual presentation. When I called in to my office to find someone who might be able to help, no one really seemed to feel the "urgency" of my dilemma. My former training coordinator was out of the office and another staff member got disconnected when we were talking. I didn't have time to play telephone tag. I needed to find a way to get a cord or a new projector to this location in 30 minutes or less and sadly, Domino's doesn't deliver technology.

The office is about 17 minutes from the location where I was teaching so it wasn't possible for me to return to get a cable and get back in time. It had to be a team effort.

"Who else is there," I asked the receptionist?

After a slight pause, I just said "Is Kathy there?"

Dependable People Never Say "That Depends..."

"Hey what's up?" was all Kathy said upon being paged by the front desk.

In a panting voice with a hint of desperation, I explained my dilemma and urgency and just said "can you help me?"

There was no hesitation. There was no "well, I won't be able to do it right away." There wasn't any sound in her voice of "oh crap, why did he call me?" 

"Don't worry. I'll be there right away," was all Kathy said.

I hung up and exhaled deeply.

To the Rescue

The registrants were arriving and the empty seats were filling up. Attendees were scanning the handout in anticipation of an on-time start. I was pacing near the front door trying to look relaxed and ready to teach. With 4 minutes to spare before the beginning of my class, Kathy arrived with not just one projector but two...just in case.

We powered up in seconds and kicked off the class with some high fives. It was time to "Get in the Game."

How Do You Stand Out?

There are over 300 million people and a little over 1 million Realtors in the United States. When a random person wakes up tomorrow and needs real estate services, will they call you? Will their co-worker or neighbor think of you? Odds are that they know at least one other Realtor so what would you need to do for your name have that "top of mind" awareness? 

If one of your Buyers or Sellers called you tonight and needed something answered, provided or explained, would you reply?

Can your former clients expect a return call or follow up in a timely manner?

Are you comfortable reaching out to leads referred to you by clients, friends or fellow Realtors?

Will your family sit back and relax knowing that you will do what you said you would do?

Do you build relationships, solve problems and have fun in such a way that people know you care?

Can people count on you?