January 11, 2009

Start with a Positive Attitude

The Difference Maker?

Is there really any other place to start than with a positive attitude? John Maxwell's book The Difference Maker: Making Your Attitude Your Greatest Asset is a fabulous book and one of my favorites when it comes to the topic of attitude and how important it can be to people's success.

It has become very cliche to speak about the impact a good attitude (or a bad one for that matter) can have on people but we know how true it is. I think in real estate it is magnified because we aren't operating in a vacuum - we must interact with others if we are to be successful.

Start with Your Alarm Clock

What time does your day begin? 5:30am? 7:15am? 10:30am? I don't really think the time your day begins is as important (although there is something to be said about that "early bird") as how it begins. When our alarm clock (internal or electronic) goes off, we all have a choice, don't we?

"Is it going to be a great day or is it not going to be a great day?"

I really think that if you cannot answer "it is going to be a great day" then you have only one option - hit the snooze button and give yourself 7 or 8 more minutes. Then, when the alarm sounds, ask the question again...

"Is it going to be a great day or is it not going to be a great day?"

Some days you may have to hit that snooze button a few times, huh? Whatever you choose, be forewarned that once your feet hit the floor, your subconscious already has been programmed for the day. So as you're laying there in bed, wiping the sleepers out of the corners of your eye and possibly realizing that you have a tough call to make to an overpriced Seller or maybe it's another day of showings with some picky, conversation-challenged Buyers, look at those as great opportunities to provide "truly remarkable service" and have fun doing it.


One of my favorite stories about attitude is this one...


So You Think You're Having a Bad Day

I hired a plumber to help me restore an old farmhouse, and he had a rough first day on the job: a flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric drill quit and his ancient one ton truck refused to start.

While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence.

On arriving, he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands.

When opening the door he underwent an amazing transformation. His tanned face was wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.

Afterward he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me. I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier.

"Oh, that's my trouble tree," he replied. "I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing's for sure, those troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and the children. So I just hang them up on the tree every night when I come home and ask God to take care of them. Then in the morning I pick them up again."

"Funny thing is,” he smiled, "when I come out in the morning to pick 'em up, there aren't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before...”