September 9, 2009

Are You Delivering FAB Service?

"Ladies and Gentleman...The Beatles"



Way back in 1964 Ed Sullivan welcomed a new generation of music to the American public with those five short words. The Beatles, a.k.a. "The Fab Four", became superstars. So it's fitting that we talk about them on a day when their new The Beatles: Rock Band is released to video game fans everywhere.





In sales, the attention should be focused on five other short words...


What's In It For Me?

It's the rallying cry of all customers everywhere. What will a product, service, company or organization do for the customer who is buying, enrolling, ordering or participating?

Sales 101 says that the first thing a good salesperson should do is build rapport with their customer or client. After that has been done, the next step would be questioning and probing for motivation. Once a person's wants and needs have been identified, now is the time when product knowledge and sales skills will actually begin.

It's a simple to follow process called F-A-B



  • What is a "feature" of your product or service?

  • What are the advantages of this product or feature?

  • How will it benefit the customer or client?
An easy way to remember the difference between a "feature" and a "benefit" is this simple little rhyme ~ "features tell and benefits sell."

I challenge you to think about what it is you do and how you are handling your FAB presentations at every opportunity? I care a lot less about how my television works and more about is the game I'm watching coming through clearly. I don't need to know how my watch works, as long as I know if I am on time for an important meeting. How a steak is cooked is a lot less important to me than how it tastes when I eat it.

Below you'll see a new commercial that will be airing this fall from the creative folks at Southwest Airlines. It's a great example of how you can deliver FAB in 30 seconds or less.